Sunday, September 30, 2012

Threads for Thought - Kami Tank review


**Currently there's a sale on all sale items (enter T4TSALE at checkout) - ends Oct. 1st! 

My search for affordable, organic and sustainable clothing ended when I discovered Threads 4 Thought a few months ago. This brand of sustainable apparel that epitomizes West Coast laid-back fashion has been a go-to for all my basic wardrobe essentials. For conscious consumers, now there's no need to feel guilty about a little online shopping because... 

The threads are sustainable
Fabrics are made of organically grown cotton or derived from plastic water bottles (through a really cool process!) 

Support great causes
Organizations include International Rescue Committee, the Natural Resource Defense Council, Rock the Vote, Girl 2 Girl, among others. On the website, they have a section of clothing called "shop the cause" with different t-shirt designs for specific causes. 

Created through fair practices 
When I first noticed the tags on my garments stating "made in Pakistan", I assumed that this company relied on sweatshops overseas for production. Then, I read on their website that they "only work with factories that respect their employees and treat them humanely and fairly." This statement made me feel more at ease about their practices even if they are outsourcing. 

Affordable and free domestic shipping & return 
Need I say more? 

As for the fashion, T4T is all about comfort and laid-back style for both men and women. Basics come in a multitude of colors and more recently this summer, there were new lines of interesting printed dresses and silk tops, which did come slightly more expensive. 

Most of the items that I have purchased from Threads 4 Thought in the past are basic wardrobe essentials - cotton dresses (2 for $30), Lisa Leggings in Charcoal ($24), and these  Kami Tanks (3 for $15, or $10 each). 


Kami Tank in Black (XS), Pearl (S), and Seashell (S) 
60% organic cotton
40% modal 
These neutral tanks are great for layering underneath sheer tops, for example. For something partially made of recycled plastic water bottles, they're surprisingly soft! My only complaint about these simple tanks is the variation in size/length. I typically wear a size xs or s, so I thought I would purchase both of these sizes in different colors. For me, the pearl and seashell colors, both of which I bought in size small, were significantly looser than the extra small black tank (which is my favorite). Even between the two size small tanks, I found that the pearl tank is shorter in length and wider in the torso than the seashell. The inconsistency in sizing is something to keep in mind. I would recommend sizing down for a fitted yet still comfortable look, especially since the tanks can stretch out from wear. 

For only 3/$15, it's hard to go wrong with these soft basic tanks from a socially-conscious brand. 

2 comments:

  1. I was so excited about Threads for Thought too! Unfortunately, my most recent purchase from them started unraveling during the second wear. Despite repeated attempts to contact Threads for Thought and resolve this issue, they never responded. I want to feel good about my purchases, their treatment makes me feel awful. I don't know that I can ever purchase from then again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was so excited about Threads for Thought too! Unfortunately, my most recent purchase from them started unraveling during the second wear. Despite repeated attempts to contact Threads for Thought and resolve this issue, they never responded. I want to feel good about my purchases, their treatment makes me feel awful. I don't know that I can ever purchase from then again.

    ReplyDelete